Saturday, December 13, 2008

Proof of My Existence

You know those "Coming-of-Age" movies involving young friends who have such a tight bond that it just makes you all heart-achey and gushy? They share good times, tragedy, life changes, and they remain close through it all? You know, like Stand by Me, and all those. Those are friends who are so deeply rooted in your heart that if they're no longer in your life, you have a little hollow spot inside where they should be.

Shortly after my dad died in 1982, my mom and I moved from our Woodbridge, Virginia home, which I had lived in for the first 13 years of my life, to a small rural community in central VA. I missed my friends, especially Laura. My father's death had a huge negative impact on me; I was numb and barely functional for many years. I saw Laura only once in the years that followed. During that visit, I learned that her father had died like my own. That made our bond even stronger. After high school, I joined the Air Force and served mainly overseas in Japan. I never stopped thinking of my old friends back in Woodbridge. Laura and I tried to reconnect here and there, but missed by months or miles.

Yesterday, I thought to search for Laura on Facebook. There she was, right there on my computer screen. My heart skipped a beat; I quickly sent a "friend request." An hour later, a chat window popped up. Technology is great, but nothing beats the sound of an old friend's voice. We talked for over an hour on the phone. We laughed, reminisced, and I cried. A little hollow spot in my heart had been refilled. I can't tell you how much it means to me to be in touch with Laura again. And Wendy, and Tina.... You were all such a big part of my life back then. I look forward to more laughs and more memories in the making!

And now I'll stop being a sentimental (or maybe just mental) dork and post some pix from "back in the day."


Me, Laura, Sonya, Wendy on our way to a school dance. I thought I was hot stuff! These girls were so fun! Sonya and I used to roller skate and sing that song, "I want you to want me...." Wendy always thought up the funniest stuff. One little tune she sang once when we were goofing off at her house was, "Needles and pines sticking in your spines." That was soooooooo hilarious back then. Okay, it still is! Laura and I always seemed to be having seances. We summoned the spirit of John Lennon just a week after he died and when we did, the candle we were chanting to blew out, the electricity went out, and the phone rang once...spooky! We all used to do "light as a feather, stiff as a board." I remember doing that at one of Wendy's slumber parties...it worked, but I have no idea why.


Laura and me in D.C.



Me holding Shane, Laura's parakeet.


Heather, Laura, Wendy, and me holding the 13th Commandment, which we thought was just hilarious! I remember Heather giggling at my dad's funeral. Heather, Laura, Wendy and I had gone into the chapel alone and were sitting in a pew. Heather started giggling. Laura and Wendy were trying to get her to stop and be respectful, but honestly, I was grateful for the laughter. I needed it!

Laura, thanks for letting me steal these pix off Facebook! Not that I asked first....

I love you girls!



GelaSkins Inc.

4 holla'd back:

Anonymous said...

This has been a blast to go back and recall the memories. So happy that we have been reunited! ~wen

Lisa said...

O.k., so that pic with you and the parkeet could be Zane! Love it! And you were...are...hot stuff!

Unknown said...

Sandi, I loved that post. So fun to learn more about you. I love the leotard picture. No doubt about it.....hot stuff all the way baby!

Anna Lefler said...

What a wonderful post. Those photos really took me back...I think I owned half the clothing items in them!

Makes me want to hunt down some of my old buds and reconnect...

Thanks for becoming a follower on my blog, BTW - I really appreciate that! I look forward to reading more of your posts...

Take care and happy holidays!

:^) Anna

Post a Comment

Leave me some words!